The Sri Lankan Society for Microbiology (SSM), in the year 2010, formed as a society for the gathering of clinicians, scientists and students to serve the purposes of disseminating knowledge and skills pertaining to microbiology within Sri Lanka, for publishing research and scientific information related to microbiology, and for providing spaces to interact and share knowledge. The SSM achieves this by means of conducting lectures, seminars and workshops, publishing articles in its journal, the Sri Lankan Journal of Infectious Diseases (SLJID).
- To promote an integrated multidisciplinary approach towards the study of basic and applied microbiology.
- To disseminate knowledge and skills pertaining to microbiology within Sri Lanka
- To publish journals and books and convene meetings, workshops and colloquia
- To promote basic and applied research in Microbiology and related areas.
- To promote collaboration among members in all areas pertaining to the discipline of microbiology